Thursday, November 19, 2009

PRETTY RICKY's SELF-TITLED Fourth STUDIO ALBUM (Rating 3/5)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Even after having to replace members in the group, PRETTY RICKY continues to bring the same raunchy sex music one can expect from them. But something must've changed in me...for the first time EVER, PRETTY RICKY's music doesn't turn me on...well, the music itself, yeah...but not the lyrics. As a matter of fact, I felt dirty after previewing this album...almost violated. Could it be that my relationship has completely changed my ways...? WOW! (I love you babe...)

Diamond "Baby Blue" Smith, Spectacular Smith, and Corey "Slick 'em" Mathis (all brothers) started PRETTY RICKY with Marcus "Pleasure P" Cooper in 1997. Several years later, Pleasure P would be replaced by Christopher "Ambition/4Play" Myers upon him wanting to embark on a solo career. Upon the release of PRETTY RICKY's eponymous fourth studio album, Ambition/4 Play has been replaced by Mexican-American "Lingerie". One thing that has always taken me by surprise about this group IS the vocal harmonies and rap performances by the members. With songs like "Grind On Me" and "Love Like Honey", I truly enjoyed hearing the songs take on different levels of excitement as each individual of PRETTY RICKY took their turn at the mic. On this album, however, whether it's be because of personal preference, I don't hear that anymore. Don't get me wrong...the album is still decent...but it's not appealing to me. The lyrics are just WAY too explicit...and they don't do anything but turn me off. There are some interesting moments...especially on the aptly-named track "Me and My Guitar (Ménage a Trois)"...I've always been a sucker for guitar-driven melodies and this song has it. Still with that, the album takes on some rather hilarious situations...and those are present on the track "Discovery Channel (Wild Girl)", which reminds me too much of R. Kelly's "The Zoo" with all the random animal mating noises in the background! The one track I feel that was intriguing to me was "Black"...we all know what happens when there is nothing but darkness around you and you're alone with the person you love...or in many people's cases...the one you are about to have a one-night stand with. As a matter of fact, listen to songs like "Mr. Goodbar", which has officially left me NOT wanting the candy bar after PRETTY RICKY states that they "taste like Mr. Goodbar"...or the song "Like My Style (doggystyle)", which speaks for itself.

PRETTY RICKY...this album is alright as far as their career goes...but it's not enough for me to want to rush out and buy it. I really truly believe that at some point...raunchy, explicit sex songs won't do anything for people...especially those that are truly in love with someone else. Let this album solely be the soundtrack to a hot, sweaty mess of a one-night-stand in a dirty motel room.

Songs that I Somewhat Enjoyed from the Album:
• Say a Command
• Tipsy (In Dis Club)
• Me and My Guitar (Ménage a Trois)
• Black
• Discovery Channel (Wild Girl)
• Prince Charming
• Downtown

At the time of making this review, no material was available on YouTube or MySpace to form a "HIGHLIGHTS" section.

BONUS TRACKS
(iTunes Store)
• Make-Up Sex


PRETTY RICKY
"Tipsy (In Dis Club)"
From the 2009 album "Pretty Ricky"
Directed by Diamond Blue Smith
(4.15)





ONCE AGAIN...at the time of making this review, it was made clear that BOYZ II MEN's cover album "Love" had been pushed to the SUPER MONDAY line-up for November 23rd, 2009.

REVIEWS coming up on MONDAY, NOVEMBER 23rd, 2009
ADAM LAMBERT-- "For Your Entertainment"
LADY GAGA-- "The Fame Monster"
RIHANNA-- "Rated R"
SHAKIRA-- "She Wolf"
JAY SEAN-- "All or Nothing"
ANGIE STONE-- "Unexpected"
BOYZ II MEN-- "Love"

So what's up with this SUPER MONDAY line-up?! Most of the public has already heard new music from LADY GAGA, RIHANNA, and SHAKIRA...are their respected albums all worth the hype? Will ADAM LAMBERT surpass Kris Allen with his debut album "For Your Entertainment"? And why is everyone sweating JAY SEAN like he's the next best thing? ANGIE STONE definitely came up out of nowhere "Unexpected"...what does her new album have in store for us? CHECK HERE on MONDAY, NOVEMBER 23rd, 2009 for the answer to these questions and a whole lot more!

COPYRIGHT PROTECTED.
Written by Felix-Lee "Campbells" Andrades, III

No comments:

Post a Comment