Tuesday, March 30, 2010

USHER-- "Raymond vs. Raymond" (Rating 4/5)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Finally...the album we have all been waiting for is here. With so much hype, controversy, and speculation centered around USHER's recent life, everyone seemingly couldn't keep their comments to themselves in regards to this album and the meaning behind it...including myself. I was one of few who thoroughly enjoyed Here I Stand because it was a departure from the normal sound of an USHER album...you know, the sex-driven, menage-a-trois having, whorish factor that became a staple of this man's career since the very beginning. I was also one who felt that USHER needed a new direction since many of his singles sounded exactly the same. Things have changed...

Raymond vs. Raymond, USHER's sixth studio release, cannot be compared to the mega-success that was Confessions...it is ten times better! And that means a lot coming from me because I never really cared for this artist in the least bit. The lead "buzz" single Papers had me in a fit ready to totally disregard this album when it came out and I'm glad I didn't. Even though Hey Daddy (Daddy's Home) peaked my interest somewhat, it wasn't until Lil' Freak featuring Nicki Minaj and There Goes My Baby were released that I became thoroughly impressed. And while I feel one's personal life (and another's strife) shouldn't be made public, I really can't dismiss the accomplishment that is Raymond vs. Raymond. Attention has to be given right away to the songs produced by Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. Pro Lover and Mars vs. Venus are completely amazing...whereas So Many Girls and Guilty featuring T.I. create a mood of confidence so strong, it can't be denied. Okay and Making Love (Into the Night) are also favorites of mine. One definite surprise is the track OMG featuring will.i.am because of its ambient sound. USHER combined the influences of The Runners, Jim Jonsin, Rico Love, Polow Da Don, Danja, RedOne, and many others to create a breakthrough in R&B today.

Raymond vs. Raymond is edgier and deeper than anything else USHER has put out over the years. Profanity is in abundance...sexual innuendos are at an all-time high...but what's more profound is the effort and soul put into the project. Could this album make it to Number One? Quite possibly...we'll just have to wait and see what happens...but I will say this. USHER was able to make me do an about-face in his direction...imagine what he's gonna do for the rest of his audience...

Songs that I Really Enjoyed from Raymond vs. Raymond:
• Hey Daddy (Daddy's Home)
• There Goes My Baby
• Lil' Freak featuring Nicki Minaj
• She Don't Know featuring Ludacris
• OMG featuring will.i.am
• Foolin' Around
• Okay'
• Making Love (Into the Night)

From USHER's latest album "Raymond vs. Raymond", here's "So Many Girls..."



From the same album, here's "Guilty" featuring T.I. ...



USHER featuring Nicki Minaj
Lil' Freak
From the Raymond vs. Raymond album
Directed by Anthony Mandler
(3.55)




BONUS TRACKS
(iTunes Store)
• More

COPYRIGHT PROTECTED.
Written by Felix-Lee "Campbells" Andrades, III

1 comment:

  1. love this album. its awesome !! Thanksx for the review champ

    ReplyDelete