Tuesday, March 2, 2010

HUEY DUNBAR-- "Huey Dunbar IV" (Rating 5/5)

Photobucket

Photobucket

(One of this week's FEATURED ARTISTS)

This album is easily one of the most anticipated in the genre of Salsa in a long time. After having his fans waiting for seven years, HUEY DUNBAR returns with his third solo album entitled HUEY DUNBAR IV. DUNBAR has always been an inspiration to me ever since I came across him in 1999...two years after his former group DLG released the album Swing On. That album defined a very special moment in my life...I used to try to sing like him (that was interesting) and it propelled me to want to hear more about him...so I went on a DLG rampage! Upon his announcement to go on as a solo artist in 2000, I became even more interested to see what DUNBAR could come up with. Even though his debut solo album Yo Si Me Enamore was decent...it didn't carry the same effect as his previous work. Once Music For My People was released in 2003, I kind of gave up hope that DUNBAR would reap anything good from leaving the group that gave him amazing success with songs like La Quiero a Morir, Juliana, and Volvere.

It wasn't until June of 2009 that I saw DUNBAR perform for the first time in my life during Chicago's Puerto Rican Festival. It was there that I learned about him planning a release of a new album. My Babyboi followed up on the project and officially announced the date...and today is the day we see DUNBAR make a triumphant return to what he does best...SALSA! Previous albums haven't been as powerful as HUEY DUNBAR IV. This album is very special to me...and really does put this amazing vocalist back on the throne where he belongs. The lead single Te Amare was brought to my attention several weeks ago and I still can't get enough of it. Amarte is another song that can be used to describe being with someone that you absolutely love. Asi Es and Tu Luz are also personal favorites of mine. Another great thing about this album is that the arrangement of instruments that are staples of this beautiful style of music are all live...making for an absolute perfect journey. And, of course, DUNBAR's out-of-this-world vocals are still intact.

I've been reading that we are about to be pleased by several other Salsa albums from artists we love like La India and Marc Anthony...but let me just say that I am personally happy to hear about DUNBAR taking the lead. Can't wait to see what else he has in store for us...!

SONGS that I TRULY ENJOYED from HUEY DUNBAR IV:
• Te Amare
• Ayudame
• Mi Deseo
• Alimenta Mi Alma
• Puedo Existir
• Llegar
• Si Tu Me Amas

(Unfortunately at this time, no music clips or video from the album is available on the Internet to display here.)

REVIEWS COMING UP NEXT TUESDAY, MARCH 9th, 2010:
GORILLAZ-- "Plastic Beach"
LUDACRIS-- "Battle of the Sexes"

More and more highly anticipated albums are coming out and the BabyboiCampbells Review is ready to give you the gist on whether or not they live up to their hype. GORILLAZ and LUDACRIS are up next week...so check back on TUESDAY, MARCH 9th, 2010 for an in-depth review on what these albums are about.

COPYRIGHT PROTECTED.
Written by Felix-Lee "Campbells" Andrades, III

No comments:

Post a Comment