Tuesday, March 30, 2010

ERYKAH BADU-- "New Amerykah Part Two: The Return of the Ankh" (Rating 3/5)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Keeping things under wrap better signify that you have something out of this world in your hands...because if it turns out not to be, it will totally upset and disappoint a lot of people. That's the case for me when it comes to ERYKAH BADU's newest album. Long ago were the days of the undeniable soul that was Next Lifetime and Other Side of the Game. Instead, we have something psychedelic...something retro...and I'm not quite sure if it works.

While I like every song on the album, New Amerykah Part Two: The Return of the Ankh didn't "WOW" me like I thought it would. I guess maybe because I heard that BADU was trying to return to her roots and it didn't exactly sound like that...or maybe it's just an extension of what she's already done and I haven't caught on to it. Either way, the album is simply average to me. There are highlights for me and they come on the songs Gone Baby, Don't Be Long and Umm, Hmm. Other than that, the rest of the album probably wouldn't get much play if I were to upload it onto my iPod. For someone else, this might be the next best thing...and that's okay. The lead single Window Seat and its music video has sparked up a lot of conversation seeing that BADU strips down naked. If it isn't that, it's the symbolism behind everything that makes for a bit of controversy and she's seen walking naked towards the intersection where Kennedy was assassinated many years ago.

Overall, the thrill factor isn't there regardless of what BADU does. If she were to come out with an album close to what she released back in the late 90s-early 00s, I may be inclined to give it a listen. But until that happens, I'll just stick to my belief that BADU has to call Tyrone her damn self because she's not gonna be going anywhere anytime soon.

Songs that I Somewhat Enjoyed from New Amerykah Part Two: The Return of the Ankh:
• 20 Feet Tall
• Window Seat
• Agitation
• Love
• You Loving Me (Session)
• Out My Mind, Just In Time

From ERYKAH BADU's latest album "New Amerykah Part Two: The Return of the Ankh", here's the song "Turn Me Away (Get Munny...)"



From the same album, here's "Fall In Love (Your Funeral...)"



ERYKAH BADU
Window Seat
From the New Amerykah Part Two: The Return of the Ankh album
Directed by N/A
(5.36)




BONUS TRACKS
(iTunes Store)
• Jump Up in the Air (Stay There) featuring Lil' Wayne and Bilal


Due to another drought in album releases, the BABYBOICAMPBELLSREVIEW will go on hiatus until further notice. But make sure to stay with us because we're just getting started...there's a lot coming your way so stay tuned!

COPYRIGHT PROTECTED.
Written by Felix-Lee "Campbells" Andrades, III

No comments:

Post a Comment