Wednesday, June 9, 2010

CHRISTINA AGUILERA-- "Bionic" (RATING 3/5)

Photobucket

Photobucket

CHRISTINA AGUILERA has held a grip on her audience for so many years. A decade of hits and over 42 million albums sold worldwide has proven that she is incomparable to any of her competition. At the forefront of re-invention, AGUILERA has brought an array of music over the years ranging from cutesy pop to delectable R&B...and then on to an homage of throwback sounds that wasn't expected. Now she tackles a different style of music. With BIONIC, AGUILERA incorporates dark electronica with some noticeable grunge, deep ballads, and in-your-face rock. Slap on a "parental advisory warning" for explicit content and you got one of the most eclectic albums out this year. Unfortunately, AGUILERA crossed the line into a territory of simply doing WAY too much for her comeback album.

I had been wondering how an album that features work from M.I.A., Santigold, Linda Perry, The-Dream, Tricky Stewart, and Polow Da Don would sound...now I'm just disappointed. The hodgepodge of melodies do not blend correctly causing BIONIC to have no musical structure whatsoever. Her voice is there...but for much of the album, it is digitally hidden behind all the mechanical processing that was done in the finished product. I don't like to draw comparisons...but it's really hard NOT to when I hear songs that are ALL to similar from other artists. I'm not talking about Madonna or Lady Gaga...I'm talking about Desnudate sounding like a Spanglish version of Britney Spears' Get Naked (I Got a Plan), as well as Bobblehead sounding like Gwen Stefani's Hollaback Girl. There are several songs I enjoy on the album...ironically it's the ballads and rock-flavored songs that catch my attention MORE than whatever "new sound" she was trying to create. I Am and All I Need are exactly the type of songs AGUILERA needs to get back into making...even the provocative Sex for Breakfast is a welcome change from the hot mess that is BIONIC.

I can applaud people for taking risks...that's what life is all about. But in the music industry, taking such risks can prove to be catastrophic to your career. AGUILERA has waited four years to unveil an album during the reign of Lady Gaga who continues to epically command the charts AND the attention of everyone around her. X-TINA may need to re-conjure the formula she used with her Stripped album because with BIONIC...she's only gonna continue to push away her long-time fans. The numbers don't lie...current single Woohoo featuring Nicki Minaj officially dropped out of the Hot 100 this week after debuting at #79 while Not Myself Tonight has dramatically dropped from it's somewhat decent debut on the charts at #23 to #95! That's embarrassing for an artist of her caliber. Let's hope that AGUILERA can at least debut high now that her album was released...because otherwise, BIONIC will be her first flop!

SONGS that I ENJOYED from BIONIC:
• Bionic
• Not Myself Tonight
• Woohoo featuring Nicki Minaj
• Prima Donna
• Lift Me Up
• I Am
• You Lost Me
• I Hate Boys
• My Girls featuring Peaches
• Birds of Prey (Bonus Track)
• Stronger Than Ever (Bonus Track)
• I Am (Stripped) (Bonus Track)

From CHRISTINA AGUILERA's new album "Bionic", here's the BONUS TRACK called "Bobblehead..."









From the same album, here's "Sex for Breakfast..."



COPYRIGHT PROTECTED.
Written by Felix-Lee "Campbells" Andrades, III

No comments:

Post a Comment