Friday, July 16, 2010

IVY QUEEN-- "Drama Queen" (RATING 3/5)

Photobucket

Photobucket

My interest in Reggaeton is getting closer to truly disappearing...and IVY QUEEN isn't even the reason why. Truthfully speaking, her seventh studio album entitled Drama Queen, an introspective project from the Queen of Reggaeton herself, helped me not to totally give up on the style of music I have been nothing but bad-mouthing since I starting writing these reviews over a year ago. IVY QUEEN has always been the "female bad-ass" amongst this predominately male music genre. She has given us no-bullshit attitude and warnings on songs like Cuentale, Quiero Bailar, and Tuya Soy...which I will forever hold close to my heart. With Drama Queen, IVY QUEEN somewhat abandons that persona...which leaves me yearning for something more.

In my eyes, this album isn't a strong comeback. Never mind the collaborations with Franco "El Gorila", De La Ghetto, Wisin y Yandel, and Frank Reyes. The songs really don't evoke any response out of me...they just come across as boring. I Do is a huge deal to most because it is mainly performed in English instead of Spanish. MY issue with the song is that they Auto-tuned the hell out of her voice making IVY QUEEN sound absolutely ridiculous and off-key. Jungle featuring Franco "El Gorila" is an eccentric spaz-attack if there ever was one. The one song that truly speaks to me is De La Calle featuring De La Ghetto and that is because its mellow beat is unlike anything I've ever heard from IVY QUEEN. Everything else on the album was simply okay...mediocre is probably the more appropriate term to use if I'm being quite honest.

I always have to step with trepidation when reviewing albums in this genre...I haven't really said anything good about ANY artist simply because nothing changes. IVY QUEEN probably would've gotten a higher rating had she stuck to what I EXPECTED from her. I don't take away anything from her...I know she was trying to do something different...and to MANY, it will be greatly appreciated. With me, however, it's gonna take a lot more than some personal words to make me believe that anything related to Reggaeton actually has some sort of verifiable substance.

Songs that I Enjoyed from Drama Queen:
• Te Voy a Recordar
• Me Quiere
• Amor Puro
• Acercate featuring Wisin y Yandel
• La Vida Es Asi (Reggaeton and Bachata Versions)
• Cosas de La Vida featuring Frank Reyes

From IVY QUEEN's new album "Drama Queen", here's the track "De La Calle" featuring De La Ghetto...









COPYRIGHT PROTECTED.
Written by Felix-Lee "Campbells" Andrades, III

No comments:

Post a Comment