Wednesday, April 28, 2010

DADDY YANKEE-- "Mundial" (RATING 3/5)

Photobucket

Photobucket

The album we have all been waiting for is finally here...and I can honestly say (with much sorrow) that I am not impressed. DADDY YANKEE failed to live up to my expectations solely because everything on Mundial sounds absolutely recycled...save for maybe a couple of songs. This album received several makeovers, including the elimination of highly anticipated collaborations with Luis Fonsi, Barrington Levy, Jowell y Randy...and the most sought out of all, Don Omar. Mundial was pushed back so many times it garnered no attention from me, especially since El Ritmo No Perdona (Prende) and Grito Mundial failed to give me a dose of the DADDY YANKEE I had been craving. Now I hear this album...and I cannot believe how commercialized this once hardcore rapper with a swagger unlike no other has become.

Reggaeton has evolved...yes...I know this. But can we leave the American mistakes away from the island of Puerto Rico for one second? By this I mean the over-usage of Autotune that is in abundance on Mundial. DADDY YANKEE's flow has always been a wonder to me...and now it almost sounds belligerent with this distortion that needs to be obliterated once and for all! He also been able to carry a melody once or twice...and now it seems as though the singing is done half-heartedly. The album opens up just like the past few DADDY YANKEE releases...with a hardcore thug anthem that was made to promote his rise out of the ghetto into the strong, independent (thug) man he is today. As a matter of fact, El Mejor de Todos los Tiempos isn't the only track that reminds me of his past hits. La Despedida reminds me of Que Tengo Que Hacer, while Me Entere featuring Tito "El Bambino" can be compared to the previous two songs mentioned in this sentence! There really isn't room for originality here. I will say that cuts like current single Descontrol and La SeƱal are perfect throwbacks to what DADDY YANKEE and Reggaeton were known for. There is a little bit of dancehall featured on the track Que Es La Que Hay...and something true Dominicans and Puerto Ricans like to hear...some perico ripiao on the song Mintiendo Con La Verdad.

I did say last time that I was waiting to hear this album before I decided to stop reviewing Reggaeton music altogether. I'm one step closer to doing so now that Mundial turned out to be a mere average attempt from one of the most talented people to come out of the island. Maybe DADDY YANKEE will go back to his roots instead of copying from the pages of other people...until then, I'll do my best not to hold my breath!

Songs that I Somewhat Enjoyed from Mundial:
• El Mejor De Todos Los Tiempos
• Descontrol
• La Despedida
• Me Entere featuring Tito "El Bambino"
• Daria
• Rumba y Candela
• Campeo a Mi Manera

From DADDY YANKEE's latest album "Mundial", here's the song "La Senal..."









From the same album, here's "Que Es La Que Hay..."



BONUS TRACKS
(iTunes Store)
• Viejas Andadas
• El Ritmo No Perdona (Prende)
• Grito Mundial (Extended Version)


The BABYBOICAMPBELLS REVIEW is coming back full force with FIVE brand new reviews on NEW MUSIC from TONI BRAXTON, TRINA, BONE THUGS-n-HARMONY, THE TEMPTATIONS, and JOWELL y RANDY! Check back here next week TUESDAY, MAY 4th, 2010 for this and much more news, including how well CYPRESS HILL did on the BILLBOARD CHARTS!

COPYRIGHT PROTECTED.
Written by Felix-Lee "Campbells" Andrades, III

No comments:

Post a Comment