Wednesday, August 18, 2010

KEM-- "Intimacy: Album III" (RATING 2/5)

Photobucket

Photobucket

If last week offered us a new sound that was fresh and unexpected, then it's no surprise that this week brings us music with no character or personality...much like the artists behind the albums. Adult Contemporary R&B is something I've enjoyed for many years of my life. The "grown and sexy" melodies and lyrics found in this genres are the only ones that really call my attention in an industry filled with superficiality and repetitiveness. But nowhere was it written that Adult Contemporary R&B had to be full of snores and disbelief.

I haven't been all too familiar with KEM and his previous albums, which is the reason why I decided to give Intimacy: Album III a try. While the album starts off strong with tracks like When I'm Loving You and Can You Feel It?, by the third track I began to fall asleep. Songs like Love Never Fails and Human Touch have the ability to make me understand the meaning behind them...but it's pretty easily interpretable. THIS means that all the critics who claimed KEM did something spectacular with his lyrics obviously were afraid of embarrassing himself by telling the truth. This artist does not win an award for ground-breaking song-writing on ANY of the tracks offered on this album...he leaves a lot to be desired, really. For an album called Intimacy, for an album whose tracks reach the six-minute mark, you'd think he went out of his way to captivate you for the 45-minute duration of the album. I'm sorry to say that I regret listening to this album...the production is just about as plain as KEM's attempt at "pleasing the ladies" or his paper-thin vocals that are as weak as most of the material on his third attempt.

So what I have learned? Boisterousness doesn't appeal to people like me after awhile. Lady Gaga is a prime example of this; do you think I really care too much about her sophomore album? No...because after over ten songs released and/or played in some format from her debut (and later released Monster EP), I feel as though she has a lot to prove her second time around if she wants to keep MY focus on her. Being flamboyant will never rock my boat...but if you're too tamed and laidback with your music, you will lose me as part of your audience even quicker. Artists have to find a median between the over-extravagance and the lame if they want to make it far nowadays. Lyrics have to be more heartfelt, more deeper than they are already. Production doesn't have to be hyperactive to prove your presence but at least do something to keep people from falling asleep ten seconds after your album starts. And singing ability...YOUR VOCALS, for crying out loud...should actually be existent if you plan on turning heads. Too bad for KEM...he just lost my interest in anything he does from this moment on. Maybe his Adult Contemporary R&B is suitable for a septuagenarian...but for someone who knows the true meaning of "grown and sexy", I plan on spending my money on someone who is actually worth it.

Songs that were MINUTELY ENJOYABLE from Intimacy: Album III:
• Human Touch
• If It's Love featuring Maurissa Rose

(At the time this review was published, no music clips were available for listening...)

COPYRIGHT PROTECTED.
Written by Felix-Lee "Campbells" Andrades, III

No comments:

Post a Comment