Wednesday, August 18, 2010

DONDRIA-- "Dondria vs. Phatfffat" (RATING 2/5)

Photobucket

Photobucket

As I continue on with my rampage about uninspiring artists, DONDRIA only solidifies my belief that the industry is either desperate to sign random people just to make a quick dollar...or executives might actually be about as foolish as the idea that crossed their minds giving them the illusion they were doing something intelligent. Jermaine Dupri discovered DONDRIA through YouTube a few years ago. Her debut album was delayed for almost two years and now it finally gets to see the light...but I really wish it would've been kept in the dark....

If KEM failed at being "grown and sexy", DONDRIA and her ridiculous nickname TRY too hard to be "grown and sexy". THAT's evident on the track Making Love. She could be an "old-soul" at heart, but nowadays, no 23-year-old is gonna know what it is to "make love" to another human being. Maybe she does, I don't know...but I base my assumption on the fact that the rest of this album caters to the young crowd...the teenage crowd. That's how immature her music sounds to me. And Jermaine Dupri always seems to be a hit-or-miss with production. It seems as if he picks and chooses who he wants to give the better music to, while the rest get some recycle garbage that isn't appealing to anyone. His Jeep Mix for the lead single You're the One (released back in November of '09, mind you) features a sample from the 1976 Bootsy Collins' hit entitled I'd Rather Be With You. However, it's very unfortunate that JD did not have anything better to do with said sample except screw it up completely...and the 50 Cent sample on No More was totally unnecessary.

DONDRIA is an artist who needs better guidance. I could tell she's talented...she does possess a beautiful singing voice, but what turned me off about this album was the production. Yet again, I found myself being very dissatisfied with what was being offered. It's too juvenile for me...and what I thought was a throwback to 90s-style R&B was just a glitch in my hearing because NOTHING on DONDRIA's debut album conjures up the talent of her predecessors. I think she needs to re-evaluate the people she collaborates with in the future because she will need to re-invent herself after the flop of an album that took so long to become available.

Songs only SLIGHTLY ENJOYED from Dondria vs. Phatfffat:
• You're the One
• Shawty Was Up featuring Johnta Austin and Diamond
• Believer
• Kissed By the Sun

From DONDRIA's debut album "Dondria vs. Phatfffat", here's the song "Saving Myself..."









From the same album, here's the song "Where Did We Go Wrong...?"



DONDRIA featuring Johnta Austin and Diamond
Shawty Was Up
From the Dondria vs. Phatfffat album
(4.23)



Maybe we'll have some better luck at receiving BETTER music NEXT WEEK now that established artists like KATY PERRY, FANTASIA, USHER, and DON OMAR are set to release fresh material. Check back next week for the reviews on these albums and a whole lot more from the BABYBOICAMPBELLS REVIEW!

COPYRIGHT PROTECTED.
Written by Felix-Lee "Campbells" Andrades, III

No comments:

Post a Comment